Mountaineering is an art and science and not merely a physical activity. It is one of the finest sports but to practice it without training and technique is a form of deliberate suicide. Training promotes caution and clear thinking. It alleviates fatigue, danger and improves safety. A mountaineer must not only learn climbing but also understand the mountains. Mountaineering enables you to see further from a greater height. It gives you the joy of discovery and an aspiration to live.
For details of various Mountaineering Institutes use the links below
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute – Darjeeling – To download application form click here
- Nehru Institute of Mountaineering – Uttarkashi – To download application form click here & medical form Click here
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering – Manali – To download application form click here
- Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering – Pahalgam – To download application form click here
- Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering – Gulmarg – To download application form click here
The following courses are conducted by reputed Govt. recognised Institutes.
The course basically deals with school students, teachers and adults who are exposed to various outward-bound activities like trekking, rock climbing, bush craft, waterman ship
The Basic Mountaineering Course is the foundation course in which men and women are initiated into mountaineering.
The advance course aims at training the trainees for becoming potential leaders and members of expeditions into the Himalayas and to churn out ‘Lead Climbers’, the duration of this course is also 28 days.
SEARCH AND RESCUE
The course covers Search & Rescue operations in the Himalayas with particular reference to Rescue techniques on rock, snow and ice, First-aid, Mountain Navigation, Radio Telephony, Liaison with various organizations and their involvement during Rescue operations
METHOD OF INSTRUCTION
The aim of this course is to prepare mountaineers for becoming potential Instructors, for may it’s a career opportunity in mountaineering and allied sports.
These courses are run by the Institute for different organizations on request. These include courses for deaf and dumb, and handicapped persons.